Steel Bullet Trap: MOD 1.
Professional ranges are a huge investment. Knowing the financial investment that a team undergoes to build and design their range, one has to question why companies continue to offer sub quality bullet traps on the market. The simple answer: They want your money, that’s it. They aren’t interested in providing you nearly indestructible bullet traps because it goes against their business model. They HOPE yours fail prematurely so they can charge you for another set of inferior traps. They hope to keep that cycle going indefinitely. Enough of that. Invest in the highest quality bullet trap available: Our MOD1.
The MOD1 Steel Bullet Trap is specifically designed to be portable and easily maintained by ANYONE. The entire upper assembly is constructed of 3/8″ AR550 steel. Every. Single. Inch. This means even angled shots that impact the side walls will not pass through. The strike plate housed inside is replaceable. During regular cleaning and maintenance users can easily reverse or replace this AR550 strike plate.
The rubber is a 2″ thick vulcanized rubber ballistic panel measuring 24″wide x 36″ tall. This ballistic panel is the highest quality rubber and it a SOLID one piece design. Our vulcanized rubber is approximately 25% more dense than our competitors. This means more rounds can pass safely through and means your traps will continue to run longer even in high volume range environments. When the rubber wears out, simply replace with a new panel, available directly on our website.
The MOD1 Steel Bullet Trap is designed for most calibers within 20 feet. This means that even units training with calibers that are somewhat larger can take FULL advantage of this system in their shoot houses. Invest in traps that go the extra mile and extend the life of your shoot house drastically.
- Is this bullet trap serviceable?
- Answer: Yes. This unit is FULLY serviceable. The entire upper assembly can be laid flat like a table while on the posts for a full teardown and servicing if need be.
- Are any components on this bullet trap made from lesser grade steel?
- No. Every exposed aspect of the upper assembly, including the handles and frame, are made from 3/8″ AR550 steel. Every piece. Some competitors make the sides out of thin, lighter materials and that enables bullet passthroughs when shooting at angles. Not good.
- Approximately how many rounds can I shoot until the rubber needs replaced?
- Answer: That Depends entirely on the volume of your range. If you are using these traps with teams simply clearing rooms, these will last many thousands of rounds, for some folks the rubber will last for years. If you are doing higher volume competitive indoor shooting, the lifespan will be lesser. With that being said, this rubber is Vulcanized, 2″ thick ballistic rubber. Not junk recycled, porous rubber. It’s the best of the best and up to 25% more dense than most of our competitors rubber.
- Approximately how many rounds until I need to service the strike plate.
- Answer: This answer is similar to above. Some customers use only pistols. These strike plates, especially 1/2″ AR550, will last nearly indefinitely with pistol use and proper ammo. It is a wear item that depends on how many rounds your range shoots, the distance you shoot, and where the impacts are concentrated. Most customers will get years of use out of their strike plates.
- What is the deal with the adjustable lean?
- Answer: We opted for adjustable lean for low or high angle engagements. For example, descending a flight of stairs. Bullets impacting at a 90 degree angle will do less rubber damage and the Mod 1 can be adjusted so bullet impacts are perpendicular to the strike plate. The same can be said for stadium engagements from elevated shooting positions. This is refinement that is much needed in bullet traps in general.
- How often does the Mod 1 need “cleaned out”?
- Answer: The short answer is daily. However we recognize that most will not clean the trap out daily. Cleaning daily reduces the chance of a clog inside the body of the trap. Shorter intervals of clean out are HIGHLY recommended.
- What happens if the trap funnel clogs?
- Answer: Remove the lower six bolts for the front frame. Then you will have access to the funnel and can EASILY clean out the system without removing from the base or posts. Remember to wear proper PPE/respirator/gloves.
- Can I leave the slide gate out of the upper assembly?
- Answer: Yes! Some customers leave the funnel open and keep a bucket under the trap. This means lead will be constantly falling into the bucket. The downside of this is lead dust escaping the system. ONLY do this in proper indoor ranges with sufficient air filtration systems.
- Can I use this in my basement?
- Answer: I mean…I guess you can. However proper ventilation is REQUIRED and you must adhere to local laws and regulations. Don’t do something that is unsafe. Remember: Missed rounds need to be stopped. If you miss the trap, the bullet will hit something else. For that reason we really only recommend professional applications. That being said, we will sell to anyone who needs a high end bullet trap for their application.
- Does the MOD 1 only ship via freight?
- Answer: yes. This bullet trap ONLY ships via freight services. Note: We can fit up to five units PER skid. For this reason as you add multiples to your cart, you will see gradual increases in freight until you pass five units. For orders larger than five units or outside the US orders, contact us for estimates.