Our VTAR popper steel targets can be used in competitive roles, or on any range for serious training. Just because popper is in the name, doesn’t mean we didn’t highly refine their design. We spent countless hours perfecting this system, just like our other AR550 Steel Targets.
What makes the VTAR Popper special?
For starters, we created a unique spring mechanism that allows larger plates to have auto resetting capabilities. This spring kit consists of two springs, some pins and bushings. It is an optional accessory, but one we highly recommend for anyone who doesn’t want to reset their poppers. You can adjust spring tension on these steel popper targets to suit a wide variety of shootings styles. Keep the springs a little less tight, and you can get some solid movement with lighter calibers. If you want to make it so the plates never fall over, even with larger calibers, add more tension. The popper plates can be reversed over time, and maintenance is very straight forward.
Another awesome trait of our VTAR steel poppers is the fact that they keep your targets low to the ground. If you want C Zone or reduced C Zone targets, but don’t have a tall backstop, these VTAR poppers can help. They ring great and have an outstanding lifespan. VTAR poppers are created from our legendary AR550 steel and backed by our guarantee that they will serve you well for many years to come. Buy with confidence knowing that these are hand built by a 2A absolutist company who is not only making badass products, but we are investing in changing culture for the better. Money well INVESTED.
- USPSA Full Size Popper: (note this size plate is not designed to work with springs. Springs CAN be used to hold target in upward position but this plate will NOT reset like the smaller plates) This target is approximately 42” Tall. The circle is 12” Diameter. Built based on USPSA Specifications. This version of the VTAR system weighs approximately 55 Pounds
- USPSA Full Size Classic Popper: (note this size plate is not designed to work with springs. Springs CAN be used to hold target in upward position but this plate will NOT reset like the smaller plates). This target is approximately 34” Tall. The circle is 12” Diameter. Built based on USPSA Specifications. This version of the VTAR system weighs approximately 50 pounds.
- 30% Reduced USPSA Popper: This target is approximately 30% smaller than the USPSA Spec version. Approximately 28” Tall. Circle is 8” Diameter. Each unit approximately 38 pounds assembled.
- Reduced Classic USPSA Popper: This target is approximately 30% smaller than the USPSA Spec version. Approximately 28” Tall. Circle is 8” Diameter. Each unit approximately 38 pounds assembled.
- Prairie Dog Popper: This target is shaped like a small groundhog or a larger prairie dog. Approximately 22” tall plate. These are perfect for hunters or long distance shooters. Each unit approximately 32 pounds assembled.
- C Zone Popper: This target is approximately 12″w x 24″h. It resembles a C Zone target plate.
- Reduced C Zone Popper: This target is approximately 8″w x 16″ h and resembles our Mini A-DAP system. This is a reduced C Zone sized plate.
- Note: these plates are offered in 3/8” AR550 standard. Other materials/thicknesses may be available for an upcharge. Please contact us with inquiries.
- Pistol Use (9mm, .40, .45) 10 yards minimum
- Rifle Use: Up to .223/5.56 NATO & .300 Blackout 50 Yards Minimum. Calibers like .308 winchester and larger should be used at 100 yards minimum for target and component longevity. For some ultra-high velocity magnum calibers certain ammo may cause surface blemishes. If you notice this, please increase distance or use a lower velocity ammo.
- Included in price: Base unit, target plate, hardware required for VTAR-AutoPopper. Please note the springs are an extra. If you do not select springs from the menu, your target will be shipped without springs.
- Please note: There will be a short break-in period for the springs. Optimum motion and movement should be achieved quickly after use.
- This target is NOT designed or intended for steel core, penetrator, or armor piercing ammunition.
- We include Four (4) ¼” thick stakes with each target purchased at no extra charge. ** We highly recommend using these stakes, especially when adding spring tension for larger calibers. The plate returning to battery from a knocked down position can cause the target to walk or flip forward when used without stakes. **
- NOTE: please expect a 5-10 business day lead time on full size USPSA and USPSA Classic plate sizes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How much movement can I expect from this system?
- This really depends on the caliber and distance of use. Bolt action rifles in larger calibers will really rock the plate. Smaller handgun calibers will allow a smaller amount of movement.
How is the limiter pin used?
- The limiter pin limits movement. The problem to overcome is smaller calibers cannot overcome harder spring tension. So rather than have multiple sets of springs that users need to change, we opted to have a limiter pin for smaller calibers. This pin limits the movement of the plate to a point where the lesser spring tension can still return the plate. It is a balance of spring tension and distance. Too far and the plate will not return as there isn’t enough spring tension. Too much tension and the plate will not move at all with lighter calibers.
Can I increase tension to keep this plate from moving at all?
- Absolutely. Some ranges don’t want movement, they just want to make sure no member has to walk downrange. You can use these poppers like that if so desired.
Are poppers available in 1/2″ AR550?
- Not at this time. 3/8″ AR550 is the perfect balance of cost and durability/strength for this system. It is designed for hard use, rest assured.
What material is the base manufactured from?
- The base is plain mild steel. It is not intended to be shot or impacted by rounds. Always shoot VTAR poppers directly perpendicular to the target plate.
Where are these products produced?
- We produce our products in Lancaster County PA. We oversee every step of the process, QC, production, packaging, and shipping. From start to finish, TA Targets is manufacturing high quality systems for hard use. Our owners own the machinery, facility, equipment, etc. We have invested heavily in newer specialty equipment to further streamline our processes and increase quality even further.
Is the Armor Plating on the targets US material?
- No. The “armor” we use for the strike plates (actual target impact plates) is made from a proprietary material that is manufactured in Sweden. this is the best material we have found in the world. We were largely dissatisfied with the QC of American made strike plates and had too many issues with quality control. Eventually we hope a US manufacturer creates a material that is as available and as stringent as our Swedish plate. For now, this is the best material to service our customers. US Manufactured AR500 and AR550 is used in areas that are NOT main strike plates. Some examples of this are the Rifle Dueling Tree Shields, Plate Rack Shields, Arachnid front shield and hostage brackets.
Where does the rest of the steel come from?
- Traditionally all other steel used in our systems is US origin. During the “covid pandemic” the supply chain has experienced extreme pressures. Under some circumstances some of our tube steel and angle had to be purchased from Canadian raw materials. We do our absolute best to minimize this, not because of quality concerns, but because we deeply desire to produce our products from US steel. We will not use Chinese steel plate, angles, or tubes. Rest assured.
Does This Product Fall Under Prop. 65 Warnings?
- Maybe. Just in case, be sure not to eat the paint or lick the target before or after you’ve shot it. If you are just curious, led tastes horrible and will probably cause mental damage. If you have done it once you are likely to do it again. Handle at your own risk, if you choose, you may wear an industry grade hazmat suit and gas mask with a HEPA filter and good luck charm on your wrist. For more information visit https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65
A. Bigger –
Very good design, and in practice the VTAR popper works very well. I bought this model because I wanted to incorporate shooting a steel popper targets into my regular practice for USPSA. This product works well for that purpose because I can immediately determine if I made a successful hit on the target, yet I do not have to travel down range each time to reset it. Perfect solution.